Starlett M. Massey
Starlett M. Massey is a partner at McCumber Daniels and manages the Banking and Real Property Department in the firm’s Tampa office. Her areas of practice include commercial litigation, commercial and residential foreclosures, real property litigation, and real estate closings.
In 1998, Ms. Massey graduated cum laude from the Florida State University with a degree in English. She is a 2007 graduate of the Florida State University College of Law. She is licensed to practice in the courts of the States of Florida, Pennsylvania and New Jersey, the United States District Courts for the Northern, Middle and Southern Districts of Florida and the Bankruptcy Courts of the Northern, Middle and Southern Districts of Florida.
She is a member of the St. Petersburg Bar Association and the Hillsborough County Bar Association. In 2009, Ms. Massey received the Outstanding Pro Bono Service Award from the Supreme Court of Florida recognizing her work on behalf the indigent. Ms. Massey was recognized as a Rising Star in Business Litigation by Florida Super Lawyer in 2013-2016.
- "The U.S. Congress Should Legislate that “Never Events” Are Inadmissible in Medical Malpractice Lawsuits"
Starlett M. Massey. The Benchmark. Second Quarter 2012.
- • “Buying Craze: Liability Pros & Cons of Hospital Employment.”
Republished. Medical Liability Monitor, March 2012 vol. 37, NO 3.
- • “Buying Craze: Hospital Groups Acquiring Physicians’ Private Practices.”
Republished. Medical Liability Monitor Blog, December 2011.
- Contributor to the Florida Defense Lawyer Association's Trial Advocate Quarterly Fall 2011 Edition (v. 30 #4), "Medicare Reporting, Resolving Conditional Payments and Taking Medicare’s Interest Into Account for Future Payments."
- "Legislative Success: Inadmissibility of “Never Events” in Medical Malpractice Claims."
Clear and Convincing Evidence, Aug. 23, 2011
- “Wilson v. State Farm: One Small Victory for Primary Payers in the MSP Arena”
Starlett M. Massey. The Benchmark. Third Quarter 2011.
- “The National Practitioners Data Bank: Overcoming Challenges Before and After Settlement.”
E. Patrick Buntz and Starlett M. Massey. The Benchmark. Second Quarter 2011.
- Contributor to the Florida Defense Lawyer Association’s Medicare White Paper, “Medicare Reporting, Resolving Conditional Payments and Taking Medicare’s Interest into Account for Future Payments,” June 2, 2011.
- "Buying Craze: Hospital Groups Acquiring Physicians’ Private Practices."
Clear and Convincing Evidence, April 18, 2011
- Starlett Massey, “Long-Term Care: DNRs, AEDs, and the Role of the Medical Director,” Fall 2010 Florida Medical Directors Association’s PROGRESS REPORT, Vol. 16, No. 2, pp. 20-22.
- Starlett Massey and Derek Daniels, “The Broad Extension of Hospital Liability,” Spring 2010 PROFESSIONAL LIABILITY DEFENSE QUARTERLY, Vol. 2, Issue 2, pp. 1, 6-11.
- Starlett Massey and Melissa Archer. “Resident Access to Pain Medication in the Face of New DEA Enforcement”
December 1, 2009, McCumber Daniels.
- “Hot Legal Topics in Long-Term Care” LeadingAge Florida’s 49th Annual Convention. JW Marriott Grande Lakes, Orlando, Florida. July 23, 2012
- “Legal Update: Arbitration Agreements and Legislative Changes,” 2011 Florida Assisted Living Association Annual Conference. Bonita Spring, Florida. Aug 11, 2011.
- Starlett Massey, “Liability and Legal Risks Related to Automated External Defibrillators,” Webinar for members of the Florida Association of Homes and Services for the Aging, May 26, 2011